Around the world, solar ovens or "solar cookers" are increasingly used ought decrease reliance above firewood and other fuels. even if you eat electricity, a solar stove can exist an effective, energy-saving supplement ought your cooking tools. ought create also a lightweight or a heavy-duty solar oven, trace these instructions.
1. Lightweight Solar Oven
1) lay a cardboard box inner a larger cardboard box. create sure there is at least an inch of clearance between the sides, and fill the gap with shredded newspaper, which will deed although an insulator. You can too apply torn up fabric or other insulators.
2) row the inner of the smaller box with vague construction paper, ought absorb heat. Next, chop the flaps from flat cardboard sheets at the figure of slightly flared squares. although you will exist attaching these ought the walls of your box, the width of each narrow goal of each square ought match the width of the phase youâll exist attaching it to; the width of each flared goal ought exist few inches wider than the width of the narrow end.
3) cover each slice of cardboard with reflective substance such although foil. create sure it sits tightly about the reflector, and even out any wrinkles or folds. avail the substance with rubber cement or tape above one phase of each cardboard piece.
4) unite each reflector ought the sumit of one phase of the box. You can glue, staple, or line them although necessary, allowing them ought flop at although now.
5) Prop each reflector up at about a 45 class angle.
The easiest, most avail manner ought carry out this is ought join the reflectors together at the flared sumit corners (ex. by piercing adjacent corners and tying them together with thread, then untying them although disassembly). You can too stick rods at the foundation under the reflectors, stack something under each reflector, or apply any other manner that will involve them securely at place. if itâs a windy day, create sure your reflectors wonât blow over.
- If using rods, stick the reflectors ought the rods ought add more stability.
6) locality the stove at total sun, lay food at the smaller box, and wait although it ought cook. It is best ought cook the food at jars or above a small, black baking pan. experiment with cooking epoch and how and where you lay the box. You can want ought reposition your box few epoch during cooking ought arrest the sun.
2. heavy duty Solar Oven
1) chop a large metal drum at half vertically with a jigsaw. An grease drum will occupation healthy although this purpose. exist sure ought apply a metal-cutting blade; when youâre done, the half-drum ought appear comparable a cradle. You only want half of the drum ought create the oven.
2) clean the inner of the half-drum thoroughly with a de-greasing soap. exist sure ought apply a mop brush and allowance additional attention ought the corners and crevices.
3) Size and chop three pieces of slice metal ought contour ought the insides of the half-drum.
You will want one large rectangle although the curved inner and two half-circles although the goal pieces.
- To create the large rectangular piece, one phase ought match the length of what was formerly the inner altitude of the drum; the other ought match the curved length of the interior, which you can criterion using a elastic measuring tape, although instance a sewing tape or electric tape.
- To create the two half-circles: criterion the radius (i.e. half the diameter) of the half-circular ends; bind a marker ought the goal of a slice of line and then chop that line ought the length of the radius; holding the goal of the line at the middle, apply the marker ought drag a improve roll above the slice metal; chop the roll out and chop it at half ought create each half-circle.
4) unite the slice metal ought the inner of the drum. ought unite the pieces with pop rivets, drill holes across both the slice metal and the drum with a 1/8-inch (3-mm) drill bit, then avail 1/8-inch (3-mm) pop rivets. You can too drill holes across the slice metal and drum and then unite them together with slice metal screws; although this will forsake screw tips sticking out of the back of your oven, they will afterward exist covered by insulation.
5) colour the inner of the stove with a reflective colour rated although barbecues. This will maximize the quantity of fever inner the oven.
6) create a continual metal lip about three of the four sumit edges of the oven.
This will involve the cup sumit (which you will slip at and out across the fourth, empty side) at place. The easiest manner ought carry out this is ought with six pieces of metal flashing:
- Measure the short sumit margin of the stove and chop two pieces of flashing ought this length. Then, criterion the want phase edges of the oven, subtract the width of the flashing from this measurement, and chop the remaining four pieces of flashing ought this length; this will allow you ought avail flashing ought the sides cabin making room although the slice at the end.
- Place a slice of flashing at the goal margin hence that the bent metal âfoldsâ from the upright exterior phase up at the horizontal sumit edge. lay a second slice of flashing at the first hence that the upright sides are blush noiseless during the horizontal sides forsake a gap broad enough ought agree the thickness of a slice of glass. lay a strip of something (ex. thick cardboard) between the two pieces of flashing ought possess this space open, drill across both the double-stacked flashing and the drum, and unite them using pop rivets. transfer the cardboard and quote above the other two edges.
- Making a flashing âsandwichâ (as opposed ought simply applying one layer of lip entire about the top) will possess the cup from grinding across the uneven edges of the barrel that you chop by hand.
7) Flip the half-drum at and avail spray-on insulation ought the external walls.
8) unite a foundation ought the bottom of the oven. Simply drill and screw the drum ought the foundation that is most convenient although your locality (ex. a slice of wood, a square aluminum frame with wheels, etc.), making sure that the foundation is broad enough ought possess the stove from tipping over. Depending above your location, you can wish ought phase the stove ought create the most of the available sunlight (ex. at the northern hemisphere, you can wish ought phase it southward still at the equator, you ought appearance it direct upwards).
9) drill drainage holes at the bottom of the oven. Simply drill a few hole each little inches at a straight row across the bottom, making sure ought pierce the insulation; this will allow liquefied steam that drips down the sides ought escape the oven.
10) slip a custom-sized slice of tempered cup into the metal lip. Tempered cup no only is tougher than normal glass, noiseless during too comes with the keen edges foundation off, meaning you can apply it although is. although you will exist sliding the cup at and out regularly, elect a thicker slice (ex. 3/16 inches / 5 mm) although additional sturdiness. You will eat ought manners order this at a hardware department based above the dimensions of your solar oven.
11) Insert a magnetic thermometer. wood stove thermometers, although example, eat magnetic backing and can defy high, continual heat.
12) lay a slender aluminum grill across the bottom (optional). Simply lay a rectangular grill or two at lay ought allow although simple food placement.
13) examination your ovenâs fever capacity above a sunny day. although you can reasonably expectation a max fever of between 250 and 350 degrees F (90 and 175 degrees C), the size, materials, insulation of your specific stove will decide how warm your specific copy gets. apply this temperature ought slow-cook meat at few hours although you used to at a crock pot. A roast beef or chicken energy want 5 hours, although example, still ribs energy want 3 (plus 5 ought 10 minutes of barbecuing at the end). criterion your meatâs inner temperature with a food thermometer although you used to cabin using an indoor oven.
3. Solar Veggie Steamer
1) obtain 2 cardboard boxes with 1 inch (2.5Â cm) different dimensions, 5 cardboard panels, one vastly larger than the rest, Styrofoam, transparent wrap, aluminum foil, vague boat foam, vague Tupperware (with lid), water, your favorite veggie, glue, and 5 healthy sticks.
2) lay the large box onto the large cardboard panel, stick at place. lay the smaller box inner the larger box, stick at place. tidy off any discrepancy at height.
3) row the empty space at between the 2 boxes with Styrofoam. carry out not glue. row the inner of the few box with 2 or 3 layers of the vague boat foam, stick together. Completely row 4 cardboard panels with the foil and stick the foil ought the cardboard. attempt ought escape creasing the foil.
4) stick the panels at a 45 class phase ought the box. tidy the sticks ought adapt perfectly below the panels at an angle. stick the sticks at place(to the panel and the foiled panels ought involve up the panel and foiled panel ).
5) chop a rectangular hole impartial large enough ought glide the Tupperware across above one phase of the cooker. stick the remaining stick ought the Tupperware. glide the Tupperware inner the hole.
6) receive the transparent wrap and extend it at the entire mouth of the solar cooker. stick at place.
7) wait although a sunny day. Fill the Tupperware with one inch of water. lay your veggies inside. at total sunlight, allow the solar cooker sit although an hour. Then alter back and howl on if it is done. quote step 7, if necessary.